Terms & Conditions
Provided you have the discipline and talent, your learning experience at Woodmont Writers Enclave will enable you, to write a novel that could be considered for publication in any novel genre you choose. However, there is no guarantee you will have your novel published due to attending Woodmont Writers Enclave’s seven-day course. You will be taught the tools needed to produce a novel via Professor Bridges’ ten lessons presented at his home and one Field Trip to Burke’s Garden, Virginia. You will be provided with a comfortable bed, in separate male and female buildings located on Mr. Bridges’ Farm Compound at his home and adjacent to his home in the Women’s Cottage. Clients are provided with Farm-To-Table meals, prepared by a Certified Food Protection Manger-Chef, in a kitchen that has been inspected by The Virginia Department of Health.
WOODMONT OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, VIRGINIA, LLC
We are pleased that you are interested in attending The Woodmont Writers Enclave and enjoying use of the Farm (the “Farm”) during your Writers Enclave stay. While attending the Writers Enclave and learning to write a novel, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the following activities on the Farm: (1) Walking, Jogging or Hiking on the Farm and nearby trails, (2) Fishing (all local licensing laws must be followed), and, weather and other conditions permitting (3) Horseback Riding (the “Uses”). Your attendance of the Writers Enclave and use of the Farm is subject to your checking the box and agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth herein. For the purposes of this Agreement, the term “you” or “participant” refers to the User. The terms “we”, “us” and Owner refers to Woodmont of Franklin County, Virginia, LLC, a Virginia limited liability company.
Grant of License.
On the condition of your agreeing to the terms hereof by checking the box below, you are hereby granted a license for the Uses listed above. Nothing further is permitted. Owner is not receiving any fee or compensation of any kind for granting the license herein, other than $3,000 for the 7-day Writers Enclave course. This License shall automatically terminate once the Writers Enclave concludes.
The Terms of the Use.
This agreement is separated into three primary parts. The first part deals with the significant risks that can be associated with the Uses and your confirmation that you are aware of and expressly accept and assume all such risks. The second part discusses the commitments you make with respect to your use of the Farm and in the third part you provide us a release and indemnity with respect to your use of the Farm.
This agreement constitutes simply a license for the Uses of the Farm and nothing further. The license may be terminated at any time, with or without notice or cause, orally or in writing, by Owner or any of its representatives.
If you use the Farm for any activity not specifically authorized herein, or if you violate any of your covenants herein with respect to a permitted use, your activity will constitute trespass and a breach of this agreement and you will be liable for damages.
A. You Acknowledge the Many Risks of the Use.
There are numerous risks inherent to any use of the Farm. Those risks include, but are not limited to:
1. The Farm has areas of steep terrain;
2. Swimming is allowed at your own risk, in the Farm Pond, no certified Lifeguard is on duty at the Farm;
3. The Farm has wild and/or poisonous plants, animals and insects which can injure you;
4. There are hidden holes, cracks, crevices, subsurface conditions, tree wells, stumps, forest dead fall, fallen and falling trees and limbs, still and moving water, depressions, loose gravel, barbed wire, fence wire, rocks, stones, mud, machinery, and property, unsound physical structures, glass, trash, nails, bars, poles, electrical wires and chemicals. If the foregoing are on the Farm they may be hidden and unmarked.
5. There are intrinsic dangers or conditions that are an integral part of equine, cattle and English Setters activities, including, but not limited to, (i) the propensity of these animals to behave in ways that may result in injury, harm, or death to persons on or around them; (ii) the unpredictability of these animals’ reactions to such things as sounds, sudden movement, and unfamiliar objects, persons, or other animals; (iii) certain hazards such as surface and subsurface conditions; (iv) collisions with other animals or objects; and (v) the potential of a participant acting in a negligent manner that may contribute to injury to the participant or others, such as failing to maintain control over the equine or not acting within the participant’s ability.
You must first carefully walk the course that you intend to use, using a walking stick to probe and clear the property ahead of you. Only after such inspection can more aggressive use of the Farm, such as horseback riding or jogging, be performed.
By checking the box below, you hereby expressly accept and assume all the inherent dangers and risks associated with the use of the Farm, including, without limitation, the risks described above and with the full knowledge and confirmation that other risks exist. You hereby accept the possibility of personal injury, including death and/or property damage related to your use of the Farm and any losses and/or expenses resulting therefrom. You acknowledge that there is no medical care near the Farm. In addition, you acknowledge that cell phone use is intermittent and often nonexistent on the Farm, and therefore the ability to call for medical help is limited to nonexistent. The Owner has Hughes Net satellite phone service which is dependable when weather conditions of rain do not interfere with it.
B. Your Responsibilities Regarding Your Use:
By checking the box below, you agree to the following commitments regarding your use of the Farm:
1. All use will be in strict compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and similar matters.
2. If your use is horseback riding, you represent and warrant that (a.) you are a qualified horseback rider with sufficient knowledge and expertise to assure you may carefully and safely use the Farm as you intend and (b) you have the appropriate equipment, and your horse is appropriately shoed and is in proper health and condition to safely use the Farm. (There will be horses on the Farm in the future, so I would like to have this option remain in the document)
3. You will not use the Farm under the influence of alcohol or any other substance or medication that will impair your physical capabilities or judgment.
4. You will use proper equipment that makes your use of the Farm safe.
5. All fishing uses will be done in conformance with all applicable laws. You must acquire all required licenses and permits for your use.
6. You must also have a valid government issued picture identification with you while on the Farm. At the request of any representative of the Owner you must show the copy of this license and such picture identification.
7. You hereby acknowledge that you have inspected the Farm, know the conditions thereof, and are entering into the license with full knowledge of the state and condition of the Farm. (Clients will not have the ability to see Farm before arrival, remove)
8. You are not permitted to start a fire on the Farm. You agree to report promptly to the Owner and to appropriate representatives of the fire prevention authorities the existence of any fire on the Farm that you discover. You agree to use all measures within your control to suppress or prevent fires on the Farm.
9. You will report to the Owner any trespassers you see on the property.
10. You will not erect any structures on the Farm or make any other changes to the Farm.
11. The preservation of historical and ecological assets of the Farm is of the utmost importance to the Owner. You agree not to disrupt any historical, archeological or ecological components of the Farm. These items shall not be disturbed, altered, damaged or vandalized by any means, including, but not limited to, digging, probing, or deliberately plowing or cultivating such sites. If you identify any archeological object or object of antiquity, you shall report the same to Owner immediately.
12. The Farm is organic in operation. You will do nothing to affect this status, including, without limitation, using any manmade chemicals on the Farm.
13. Each person with you (including, without limitation, fellow fishermen, riders) using the Farm with you must have a separate fully-signed license agreement with the Owner.
14. Guests who have reason to believe they may have been exposed to the Coronavirus or COVID-19 are strongly urged to follow CDC guidelines for self-quarantine and not travel. Prior to participation in the Enclave or arrival at the Farm, you will report to the Owner if you have had any suspected exposure to COVID-19 or symptoms of COVID-19 as identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html within 14 days of your planned arrival. You understand that the Owner reserves the right, at his sole discretion, to reschedule your reservation to a mutually agreeable date and that in doing so retains no liability or obligation to reimburse the cost of attendance or any other expenses associated with your travel or visit. You understand that this measure is taken for the safety of all visitors to the Farm and further understand that, although this measure is taken in visitors’ best interests, that there is no guarantee that this or any other measure taken by the Farm or its Owner can ensure that transmission of COVID-19 or any other virus or sickness will not occur at the Farm.
15. YOU MAY NOT BRING FIREARMS ON THE PROPERTY, EXCEPT WHEN SPECIFICALLY APPROVED BY THE OWNER.
C. Your Release and Indemnity of Us:
You hereby waive any and all claims that you have or may in the future have against the Owner of the Farm and any affiliates, agents, employees, officers, directors, independent contractors, subcontractors and representatives of the Owners, and, in each case, their successors and assigns (individually and collectively the “Protected Group”) for any loss, property damage, expense, illness, or personal injury (including death) that you or any third party may suffer or that your next of kin may suffer as a result of your use of the Farm due to any cause whatsoever, including acts or failures to act by any member of the Protected Group.
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify each member of the Protected Group from any and all liability, loss, damages, claims, and expenses including, without limitation, all legal fees and costs, resulting or in any way arising from your use of the Farm.
D. Refund Policy.
An enrolled participant in the Writers Enclave may receive: (i) a full refund of the tuition paid by the participant if a written request is received not later than two weeks prior to the start of the Writers Enclave, or (ii) a partial refund of tuition in the amount of $2,500 if the written request for a refund is received not later than one week prior to the start of the Writers Enclave. No refunds will be made if the request is made less than one week prior to the start of the Enclave. Mr. Bridges will have the right, in his sole discretion, at any time during the Enclave to terminate a participant’s enrollment and request that the participant vacate the premises immediately, in which case a pro rata tuition refund will be made to such participant. No refund of travel or other costs and expenses related to a participant’s attendance or non-attendance at the Writers Enclave will be made under any circumstances.
You are not relying on any oral, visual or written representations or statements made by a member of the Protected Group with respect to the safety of the use of the Farm. You agree that this agreement will be governed in all respects and interpreted exclusively in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. You agree that if any portion of this Agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portions of the agreement shall remain in full force and effect. You hereby confirm that you are the full age of eighteen (18) years of age or older and have read and understood the agreement prior to signing it. You agree that this agreement will be binding upon you, your heirs, your next of kin, your executors, administrators, assigns, and representatives in the event of your death or mental incapacity. This license is non-transferable. This license contains the entire agreement between the parties hereto concerning the subject matter hereof, and no provisions hereof may be modified, waived or amended except by an instrument in writing, signed by the parties hereto, and shall be binding upon any permitted successor or assign. Any failure by Owner to exercise any of its rights hereunder shall not constitute a waiver of your obligations to perform strictly and in accordance with all terms and conditions hereof.
If you agree to these Terms and Conditions, please check the box and proceed to making your $600 deposit.
David P. Bridges
Founder of Woodmont Writers Enclave
1559 FOOTHILLS ROAD
CALLAWAY, VIRGINIA, 24067